Listed below are 25 religions that claim to follow Jesus Christ. These historical facts will have the description of the name, place, founder, and year of each denomination. The last Church is the one founded by Christ Himself.
1. The Eastern Orthodox Churches were founded in North Africa, by the Patriarch of Constantinople Michael Cerularius during the middle 11th century. After the great schism, all the churches of the East split nationally since the pope was no longer recognized as the visible head of the Church.
2. The Lutheran Church was founded in Germany by Martin Luther, an ex-monk of the Roman Catholic Church, in 1521.
3. The Mennonite Churches were founded in Switzerland by Menno Simons, an ex-Catholic priest, in 1525.
4. The Church of England (Anglican) was founded by King Henry VIII, an ex-Catholic defender of the Faith in 1534.
5. The Presbyterian Churches were founded in Scotland by John Knox, an ex-Catholic priest, in 1560. The teachings come from the notorious Protestant Reformer John Calvin.
6. The Congregational Churches were founded in Holland by Robert Brown in 1583.
7. The Baptist Churches, now split into 30 sects with the Baptist name, were founded in Amsterdam by founder John Smyth in 1609.
8. The Unitarian Church was founded in London by John Biddle in 1645.
9. The Quaker Churches were founded in England by George Fox in 1647.
10. The Methodist Churches were founded in England by John and Charles Wesley, in 1739.
11. The Universalists were founded in New Jersey by John Murray in 1770.
12. The Episcopal Church was founded in America by Anglican colonists who elected Samuel Seabury as the first bishop in 1783.
13. The Evangelical Church was founded in Pennsylvania by Jacob Albright in 1803.
14. The Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) was founded in Palmyra, New York by Joseph Smith in 1829.
15. The Seventh Day Adventist Church was founded in New York by William Miller in 1831.
16. The Christian Churches, (Disciples of Christ and Church of Christ), were founded in Kentucky by Barton Stone, and Thomas and Alexander Campbell in 1832.
17. The Salvation Army was founded in London by William Booth in 1865.
18. Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah Witnesses was founded in Pittsburgh by Charles Taze Russell in 1870, known as the “Russellites, or Millennial Dawn People.” Judge Rutherford, his successor, took over the movement in 1916 in Brooklyn, New York and began calling themselves Jehovah Witnesses a few years later.
19. The Christian Scientist Church was founded in Massachusetts by Mary Baker Eddy in 1879.
20. The Church of God is one of over 200 sects founded in Tennessee by A. J. Tomlinson in 1880. The Church of the Nazarene is one of these sects founded from the Union at General Assembly in 1919. The Evangelical Reformed Church came from the same Union at General Assembly in 1934.
21. Messianic Judaism was founded in America. Though the roots can be traced to the late 1900’s in Europe up to the Boston Conference of the Messianic Council in 1901, the first Hebrew Christian Synagogue was formed in Philadelphia by John Zacker in 1922. However, out from this sect of Hebrew Christianity, the modern form of Messianic Judaism as we have it today originated in 1973 by Martin Chernoff. This group does not refer to itself as Christian and uses the original Hebrew name of Jesus Christ, Yeshua Messiah.
22. The Pentecostal Churches, which have thousands of sects, were originally founded in America by ex- Baptists and Methodists, in the early 20th century. The Assembly of God is one of those thousands of Pentecostal sects started in Arkansas by the General Assembly in 1914.
23. The United Church of Christ was founded in Oberlin, Ohio by a merger of the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1959.
24. All churches known as Non-Denominational and Charismatic Churches were formed out of the above sects that exploded within the last 25 years in America.
25. The Vatican 2 sect or the Counterfeit Catholic Church was founded in the 1960’s during the Second Vatican Council in Rome under antipopes John XXIII and Paul VI. It constitutes the majority and what many think are Catholic Churches. Its head is the antipope Francis I with side-kick Benedict XVI. Its sacraments are invalid and will remain so.
The Roman Catholic Church was founded in the Holy Land by Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on the Apostle Peter (the first Pope) and his faith in 33 AD. This Church is now just a remnant due to the Counterfeit Catholic Church.
Christ said that the gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church and that He would be with His Church until the end of time. Only one church can claim to be the Church founded by Christ for it is the only church found in every generation and in every land with the same faith for the past 20+ centuries.
Jesus founded His one holy Catholic Church by and through the Holy Spirit who is its Living Soul.
Mere men founded every other church in history.
Are you going to be faithful and obedient to Jesus by going to and through Him on His terms or attempt to go to Him on man’s terms?
Those are your only two choices. One is that narrow road (Catholic Church) that leads into Paradise, while the other choice is the wide path (the thousands of man-made non-Catholic churches) that leads to destruction!
Everybody claims to go by the Holy Bible but the Catholic Church gave us the Holy Bible in 380 AD and follows the historical interpretation of it.
Jesus purposely did not give His Church a name for any false church could usurp that name. Instead, He let men give His Church the name while He gave us the 4 marks to find it. His Church is one (united), holy (teachings come from Christ), catholic (universal), and apostolic (comes down to us from the Apostles).
Do you stay in a church just because you were brought up there, or because you like the atmosphere or because of family and friends? Is it because you are afraid of rejection due to what your family and friends might think or say? Jesus said that he did not come to bring peace but the sword, one that may divide even family members. (Matt. 10:34)
Don’t judge the Catholic Church by its unholy members as you would not judge Christ and His Apostles by Judas Iscariot. Rather, judge the Catholic Church from its Saints who believed and followed Christ as they give the example of real Christianity.
Instead of living in the 20th and 21st centuries, lets suppose you lived in the 9th and 10th centuries. What church would you attend? Since you believe the Catholic Church is a false church then you would not attend it but the problem is your only other choices would be the Paulicians, and the Nestorians. The Montanists already died out. The several Cathar sects such as the Albigenses and Waldenses came centuries later.
You also could not argue the Catholic Church was different then because it has exactly the same doctrines and practices today as it did then. If you think the Catholic Church is not Christ’s Church then you cannot possibly explain how the Catholic Church was the only Christian Church through all of those centuries with the same teachings while no other church existed except those with extreme heretical beliefs just mentioned.
If you do not believe the Catholic Church is the church Christ founded then you must conclude that Jesus was a liar since his church did not exist in certain periods of history.
You also could not argue that there was an invisible church meaning there were Christians in the Catholic Church who actually rejected the teachings of the Catholic Church while believing the same things Protestants, Evangelicals, and Fundamentalists. Those non-Catholic beliefs did not exist for another 5 centuries later coming from men reinventing religion based on their own personal interpretation of Scriptures.
Catholics hold fast to the faith that was delivered to them from the beginning and calls to mind the warning of St. Paul, “But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed.” (Galatians 1:8-9)
The Protestant Revolt gave us another gospel contrary to that of 1500 yrs of Christianity while claiming to be true Christianity. For those Protestant Revolutionaries according to St. Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, “let him [them] be accursed.”
Will you ignore history and follow a novel religion that has a gospel that was not delivered from the beginning? The answer to this question depends on your sincerity to follow Jesus who is the Truth.
Over the years in all my talks and debates with non-Catholics, I often get the comment from them that it is not about religion but a relationship.
This final statement was all they could muster because in the end they knew their position could not truly be justified. However, to them it didn’t matter because they had a relationship with Christ and all that religious talk was never going to separate that relationship.
The problem with this understanding is religion is the very substance of the relationship. Without the religion, the relationship is hollow.
The very definition of religion is the system of belief based on faith and the outward practices of life by which men indicate their relationship with God. This means that a false religion is a false relationship with one’s own God or a wrong religion is a wrong relationship with one’s own God.
Christ instituted the Catholic Church so you could have the right relationship with Him. So all that religious talk matters, and those who refuse to accept it is like the one whom Jesus spoke, “He who rejects you rejects me and he who rejects me rejects the one who sent me.” (Luke 10:16)
The question now is what to do about it? Christ said, “The path to destruction is a wide one and many are those who take it, but the path to paradise is a narrow one and few who even find it.” We may live in a confusing world but the narrow path can be found for Christ would not have left us without being able to find it.
I submit the Catholic Faith is that path for it is the only faith that can be found throughout the entire history of Christianity. It was the faith of Peter to whom Jesus gave the keys. It was the faith of all Peter’s successors. It was the faith of Stephen who was the first to die because of it. It was the faith of all the saints.
The Roman Catholic Faith is the faith found in all generations since Christ and if this faith is not it… then nothing else is.